Friday, April 07, 2006

My Letter to Republican Leaders

Consistent with my post below, the following is the letter I sent to John McCain and several others regarding the illegal immigration issue:

Dear Senator McCain,

I know immigration reform is a complex issue and I applaud the fact that it is finally being addressed in a thoughtful manner. However, I, like most Americans, and certainly most Republicans, must emphasize that border enforcement must be the priority. I like the provisions in the bill currently being considered that basically insist that immigrants assimilate into the American culture (rather than bringing pockets of the culture they are escaping to our country). But, if the borders are not
closed, this problem will recur, and likely in short order.

I'm also curious how congress proposes to identify the length of time people have
been here, and deal with the likely cheating on that issue. If they can get fake SSNs, what will be difficult about getting fake evidence that they've been here for X-number of years? That appears to be the downfall of the plan as it is currently being considered.

I appreciate your consideration on these issues. And I urge you to be cognizant of the overwhelming support for border control as the primary concern for most citizens.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home